1.25.2008

Cloverfield

See it.

Please.

* * *
The email I sent my sisters:

I know y'all aren't movie goers and that any advice on movies you will take with a grain of salt. but i really think you should go see cloverfield. it looks like a monster movie, but don't let that fool you. it's all about the human drama involved. it could just as easily have been about the Iraq war or 9/11 (and in fact invoked references in my mind to both events). But the way it was made is absolutely revolutionary. it is without a doubt unlike any other major film ever made. Even if you're skeptical, you must go see it for the historical value. i can't stop thinking about it. i can replay every scene, shot by shot in my head. it was so good that even though i just saw it last night, i'm going to go see it again tonight. My palms were sweating, my heart was racing. I felt it in my gut. The fear and anguish. I've never been more compelled by or attached to action on a screen. This wasn't like a moviewatching experience. It was like dreaming, but more like stepping into the mind of another person and living through a catastrophic event. I felt like they had attached sensors to my nerves, inducing responses. When I left the theater I was in a daze. Gleeful that the world still existed, that there was no monster terrorizing NY. That I was still alive. And yet the impact did not leave me. Imprinted on my mind were the images of giant reptilian claws smashing through skyscraper walls raining chunks of concrete and dust down on the pedestrians below. And even as I walked home, I kept my eyes on the horizon, peering down the long streets to make sure the creature had not come this way.

Don't wait for DVD.

Previous: